Severe acne can lead to serious and permanent scarring. Even less-severe cases can lead to scarring when left untreated. Acne scars occur when an acne lesion becomes so badly infected that it becomes a cyst that is located deep in the skin. When left untreated, these deep lesions can lead to an acne scar, which can appear as pitted areas or flattened areas of scarring that leave the skin’s surface uneven in appearance. They can be lighter in color or reddened in appearance compared to the surrounding skin and can become more prominent with age. These scars can affect a person’s appearance and impair their confidence, which is why the Cedar Valley Center for Rejuvenation of Waterloo, Iowa and skin health specialist Dr. David J. Congdon offer several different acne scar treatment options, ranging from applying chemical solutions to in-office softening treatment to reconstructive and surgical procedures. Acne scar treatments can help repair healthy skin and unlock the real you.
For many patients, acne scars are long-term issues that require a multi-faceted treatment approach. To remove acne scars and give you the skin that you deserve, we offer multiple treatments:
- This spinning instrument strips away surface acne scars and leaves a smoother surface.
- Chemical Peels
- Through an intensive topical solution, the top layer of your skin, including underlying scars, is lifted, revealing the healthier lower-level skin.
- Dermal Fillers, Such as Restylane or Radiesse
- Restylane and Radiesse are facial injections that can repair the appearance of facial areas where acne scars are located.
- Scar revision
- Skin-only facelift
There are important steps that patients can take in order to prevent the outbreak of acne scars. In addition to maintaining appropriate facial hygiene and avoiding excess sun contact, acne scars can be avoided through several at-home and prescription remedies:
- PCA Skin® Care products
- Through all-natural ingredients and advanced formulas, PCA Skin® Care products for men can help maintain skin health and avoid acne scars.
- OBAGI skin care products
- This comprehensive line of skin care products can help reduce age-related skin issues and replenish, refresh and smooth the appearance of your skin.
- Prescription strength medical treatments
- Various prescription treatments for acne scars exist, including creams, gels, antibiotics, and azelaic acids.